Noise disturbances - Private Renters in Camden

Noise disturbances

We all experience noise disturbance from time to time, whether it be from our neighbours, noisy construction sites or barking dogs. For many, dealing with noise can be challenging. 

Typical noise issues: 

  • Loud TV/music 
  • Noise from building sites. This is limited to 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm on Saturday. No noisy works should take place on Sundays or bank holidays. 
  • Musical instrument 
  • Burglar alarm 
  • Car alarm 
  • Barking dogs 
  • Noise from pubs/clubs/ commercial premises 
  • Buskers 

What are the types of noises the council cannot help with?  

  • Train or rail noise
  • Aircraft noise
  • Rowdy behaviour in public places. Please contact the Police on 101 in such instances, or 999 in an emergency i.e. if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger. 
  • Noise due to poor sound insulation 
  • Noise due to normal every day noise e.g. walking, hoovering, talking etc. 
  • Noisy children 

How to deal with a noise issue 

1. Talk to the person causing it - if you’re worried about approaching them, write a letter, explaining the problem clearly and sticking to the facts. If it affects other neighbours, involve them as well. It can be easier to settle a dispute if the complaint comes from a number of people.

2. Neighbour noise if they are a tenant – you can complain to their landlord. This could be a housing association, the council or a private landlord. 

3. Mediation service – If you’re unable to resolve the issue by speaking to the person causing it, you can get help from a mediation service. An impartial person will listen to each side and help you reach an agreement. 

4. Make a complaint to the Council - The Council must investigate complaints about noise that could be a statutory nuisance.  

Report a noise problem with the council. 

Response service hours

Monday to Friday

9am to 5pm

Monday to Thursday night

6pm to 2am

Friday night

9pm to 4:30am


1pm to 4:30am


10:30am to 2am

If the noise is happening during our response service hours, please report the noise problem and to select the 'noise is happening now’ option.

We aim to contact you within one hour. However, during periods of peak demand e.g. Friday/Saturday nights and during the summer months, this may not be possible.

We may need to carry out an assessment of the noise from inside your property. We are unable to attend if you do not answer our call. 

If the noise is not currently happening, or happening outside our response hours, we will contact you within five working days. 

Your details will be kept confidential. 

Contact the police – if the person making the noise is breaking the law by being violent or harassing you. 

Take legal action through the courts - Taking someone to court can be expensive. There may be court fees and you may have to pay a solicitor. 

Being a responsible tenant 

As a tenant, you are likely to have close neighbours that could be impacted by the noise you make. You should be considerate of your neighbours and recognise that they have an equal right to the enjoyment of their property. You can do this by: 

  • Keeping music or TV volume as low as possible, especially late at night when people may be trying to sleep 

  • Undertaking DIY during reasonable hours, and where possible during the hours for building sites specified above. Where possible, liaise with neighbours beforehand. 

  • Putting speakers away from the party walls and on rubber mats 

  • Reducing the bass 

If you’re having a party: 

  • Keep windows and doors closed 

  • Remember noise from outside events will travel further and effect people further away. 

  • If you can, let neighbours know in advance and give an approximate finish time. Although this does not prevent them from making a complaint. 

  • Try to stand outside the party to determine how loud it is. You should not be able to hear it outside of the property boundaries. 

where's my nearest icon

Find my nearest

The easiest way to find nearest schools, council services, your councillors, car parks and more.