Legislation supporting private renters - Private Renters in Camden

Legislation supporting private renters

Landlords are required to comply with a wide range of legislation. 

How to rent: the checklist for renting in England 

Your landlord, or letting agent, should give you the current version of the How to Rent guide when a new assured shorthold tenancy starts.

The guide does not cover lodgers (people who live with their landlord) or tenants where the property is not their main or only home. They can provide you with either a printed copy, or send a digital version by email. 

Failure to provide you with this checklist at the start of your tenancy means they are unable to issue a Section 21 notice to reclaim possession of their property. 

Fitness for human habitation 

Your property must be safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm. If not, you can take your landlord to court.

For more information, see the tenants’ guide on using the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018.

You should also check whether your tenancy agreement excuses you from paying rent should the building become unfit to live in because of, for example, a fire or flood. 

Gas Safety Certificate 

Your landlord must provide you with a copy of this certificate before you start your tenancy. 

Landlords are required to arrange a gas safety check of gas appliances in your accommodation on an annual basis. They must also provide you with a copy of the new certificate.

For further information please visit Shelter’s website.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) 

Your landlord must provide you with a copy of the EPC, which contains the energy performance rating of the property you are renting, free of charge at the onset of your tenancy.

As of April 2020, all privately rented properties must have an energy performance rating of EPC Band E or above (unless a valid exemption applies) prior to being let out.

You can search online for the EPC and check its rating. 

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) 

Landlords must keep installations for the supply of electricity in repair and proper working order throughout the tenancy.

From 1 July 2020 private landlord have additional obligations to ensure the electrics within the rented property is safe (Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020). The electrical safety report is known as the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).

Visit Shelter’s website for more information. 

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors  

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm regulations 2015 legislation requires landlords to provide smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms under a tenancy or licence: 

All landlords must by 1 October 2015 ensure that there is a smoke alarm on each floor of a property which contains being used wholly or partly as living accommodation. This includes bathrooms and toilets. Regardless of when the tenancy or licence started.  

A landlord must also provide carbon monoxide alarms in any room being used as living accommodation in which solid fuel is used. A room relating to carbon monoxide detection includes hall and landing. Solid fuel in the legislation is identified as coal or wood not gas or oil.

For more information visit Shelter’s website.  

If the property is a House in Multiple Occupation, fire safety works will be included in the HMO licence schedule of works. Your landlord will be given a timeframe to get these works completed by the council. Failure to complete the works will result in enforcement action.  

If the property is not a House in Multiple Occupation, the council will investigate any fire safety concerns and assess these under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).  

For more information on HHSRS visit the GOV.UK website

where's my nearest icon

Find my nearest

The easiest way to find nearest schools, council services, your councillors, car parks and more.