Energy bills - Private Renters in Camden

Energy bills

Keeping your home warm over the winter months can be difficult, especially if you are worried about high energy bills. Living in a cold home is not only uncomfortable but it can also badly affect your health. 

How do I reduce my energy bills?

  • Switch off standby - remember to turn your appliances like your computer monitor off standby when not in use
  • Close your curtains at night - to help to retain heat in your home
  • be careful with the kettle - only boil the amount of water you need each time rather than filling it at the start of the day
  • Close the door - keep internal doors closed to reduce draughts
  • Don’t overheat your water - set your hot water tank to 60°C to prevent water from being overheated
  • Turn down your thermostat - reduce the heat on your thermostat by 1°C to decrease your heating bills by up to 10%
  • Take control of your heating - use the timer to set your heating and hot water to come on when they are needed.

Can I switch energy suppliers while privately renting?

You could save hundreds of pounds per year by shopping around for a better deal on your gas and electricity. This could include switching tariff or possibly supplier. Under consumer protection law, if you are a renting a property and are directly responsible for paying the energy bills, you have the right to choose your own energy supplier.

More information on switching energy suppliers 

The Mayor of London has launched a new, fair-priced, green energy company, available exclusively to Londoners, called London Power. Recognising that London has some of the lowest rates of switching between providers in the country, the company has attempted to make switching to them as simple as possible. This includes no engineer/installer visits and no disruption to your supply.

Energy standards in privately rented properties

The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations set a minimum energy efficiency level for domestic private rented properties. These regulations cover properties that are let on a domestic tenancy (e.g. assured or regulated tenancy) and are required to have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) rating. 

Since 1 April 2020, landlords are not able to let or continue to let properties covered by the MEES Regulations if they have an EPC rating below E, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

If you are already in a rented home and have not seen the Energy Performance Certificate or the property does not have one, you should ask your landlord or managing agent to provide it. If the EPC rating of the home you are renting is F or G, you should speak to your landlord about how they plan to make sure it is improved to comply with the regulations.

The Green Camden Helpline

Our free-phone Helpline has a team of friendly advisors on hand to provide you with energy saving advice including how to switch energy tariff and what to do if you are in fuel debt. The team can also check if you are eligible for an energy or water bill discount, energy efficiency grants and a bespoke home energy advice consultation.

Call 0800 801 738 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm).

where's my nearest icon

Find my nearest

The easiest way to find nearest schools, council services, your councillors, car parks and more.