Find a good landlord or agent - Private Renters in Camden

Find a good landlord or agent

It's important you carry out checks on your landlord or agent before moving in to a new home.

There are steps you can take to check they're reputable and have not broken any housing laws.  

Your checklist

These steps can help you to find out more about your landlord or agent: 

  • Ask the person showing you the property who the landlord is and whether they own the house or flat. It is important to be aware if your landlord is sub-letting the property from another person such as the owner. This is called a ‘rent-to-rent’ arrangement. 
  • Ask questions about your landlord, request references and talk to previous tenants, and make sure they answer your questions
  • Make sure you have your landlords contact details, including their name, address, email, and phone number
  • Aim to meet the person who is managing the property you'll be living in
  • Expect your landlord to undertake lots of references on you, including credit checks and requesting references from previous landlords
  • The condition of properties you go to view should give you a good idea about how well the property is managed 
  • Good landlords should provide a written agreement that confirms the terms of your stay, the length of your contract, how much the rent is and the names and contact details of the landlord and any letting/managing agent. 

Are they approved or accredited? 

We recommend you check whether your landlord or agent is a member of an accreditation scheme.

The London Landlord Accreditation Scheme (LLAS) recognises good practice and provides training and professional development to landlords and agents.

Members of the scheme must comply with a code of conduct and meet the fit and proper person requirement.  

Check your landlord's record

Before signing a tenancy agreement you should check if your landlord or agent have been found guilty of any housing offences. Check the Rogue Landlord and Agent Checker.

Unlawful discrimination 

It's illegal for a landlord to refuse you a tenancy because you're receiving housing benefit or universal credit. This is sometimes advertised by landlords as a No DSS policy.

These are unlawful discrimination and you can complain to the landlord, agent or property ombudsman. Contact us for advice, or use Shelter's example complaint letters

where's my nearest icon

Find my nearest

The easiest way to find nearest schools, council services, your councillors, car parks and more.